April 11, 2011

a busy weekend

Two fun baking adventures this weekend:

 

These cupcakes were for a bridal shower. The theme was butterflies and flowers with a green and brown palette (my favourite!). Each cupcake had a gumpaste butterfly with three small blossom flowers atop a generous helping of swiss meringue buttercream. I made three flavour combinations: 
a. chocolate-chocolate (brown on brown, with green decorations) (2.5 dozen)
b. chocolate-vanilla (brown on white, with green decorations) (1 dozen)
c. vanilla-vanilla (green on white, with chocolate decorations) (4.5 dozen)

 

I made the stand out of 10", 16", and 22"cake boards and 5" cake dummies wrapped in matching green fabric and trimmed with a chocolate brown ribbon (finally putting my glue gun to good use).  And of course it rained. And of course I forgot to bring my camera to take pictures of everything set up at the venue. Thankfully some kind folks took beautiful photographs for me!


The second project was a smaller version of a sushi cake I made a few weeks ago for my better half's birthday:

 

The 'sushi' are cake balls covered in vanilla buttercream and coated in coconut flakes, topped with fondant or dried fruit. This cake fed about 25; however this one was smaller and only needed to feed the guests at an intimate birthday dinner party. I opted to make a smaller bento box with six pieces of nigiri 'sushi' instead. 

  

I'm convinced the sushi look even better the second time around! I added a bit more detail to the egg sushi by incorporating texture, and replaced the fish eggs with a piece of red snapper. 




-Danielle