April 23, 2011

easter treats

Happy Easter! To celebrate the holiday and the arrival of spring (and an addition to my arsenal of cake tools) I created two spring-inspired cakes, one for my family and one for the better half's family.


This chocolate cake was layered with vanilla swiss meringue buttercream (flavours at my mother's request), covered in a turquoise fondant and trimmed with gold satin ribbon and a pink closed peony. I also had wanted to try an open peony, so I made this cake:


This lemon cake was layered with fresh strawberry buttercream, covered in yellow fondant and trimmed with a white satin ribbon and a matching yellow peony. I wanted the cake to taste as light and fruity as possible to compliment the colours. Creating this peony was a little bit more difficult, as the petals kept wanted to "close" when I hung it up to harden. I'm still happy with the result, and I hope the family is too!

Have a happy Easter!


-Danielle