January 19, 2012

ganache

Last week I attended a chocolate making workshop to better grasp how the experts craft such wonderful treats that I eat too much of. We made truffles and chocolate pieces and even a lava cake. I also discovered that different spices can add a world of flavour to classic ganache.




To put my new lessons to use I made some chocolate macarons with a cinnamon-ginger ganache filling made from bittersweet Belgian chocolate. They were heaven. 




The spices were subtle but definitely detected. I only wish I had tried this sooner... 


The macaron recipe I used can be found here


Chocolate Ganache:
Ingredients:
1 cup whipping cream (35%)
1 cup semisweet (or bittersweet) chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger


Combine chocolate, cinnamon and ginger in a metal or heat safe bowl. In a pan, bring cream and butter to a boil over medium heat. Once boiled, remove from heat and pour into bowl with chopped chocolate and spices and let rest for a moment, then whisk together to combine. Whisk until everything is incorporated then set aside to set. If placed in refrigerator ganache will take approximately 2 hours to set up; at room temperature it will take longer. 




Enjoy!


-Danielle